As Ive mentioned previously I suffered with anxiety and depression in the past and I am definitely not a doctor or medical professional of any kind but I’d love to be able to share some of the things that I do on a daily basis to help myself stay afloat. Wether it be a constant battle or New Year blues it can be so difficult to see a light at the end of the tunnel so here is my advice.
1. Turn off your phone! Even if you feel you have to let a few people know that you won’t be contactable for a few hours. It’s really good for the mind to be able to shut out everything off of social media once in a while and just process your own thoughts.
2. Have a bath.. sounds pretty simple but god it works wonders, the warm water on your skin can really do more than physical cleansing. Wash away some of those troubles.. light some candles too!
3. Journal! This one is my absolute go to at all times, it may not work for everybody but I find that writing a short summary of your days thoughts and feelings really helps you put things into perspective and writing it down also helps to free it from your mind
4. Talk on the phone to someone you love and trust.. also someone who helps you giggle. Laughter is the best medicine or so they say and it is also good to talk about how you are feeling and even if you don’t want to talk, listening to somebody else’s voice can help take your mind off of whatever is bothering you at the time.
5. Go for a walk! I know that it’s winter and probably freezing outside and a walk doesn’t sound like the most appealing thing but fresh air in those lungs is really good for you. A little bit of exercise can boost the serotonin levels and help you to feel a lot better. So grab some headphones and pound those pavements!
6. Listen to music. Preferably something upbeat and feel good, music has an amazing way of changing the way that you feel even if only temporarily it’s a good place to start
7. Write down your manifestations. Visualising your goals and dreams can really help you to focus on what you want and create steps to make these things achievable, whatever your goals may be.
8. Do one good deed each day. It’s surprising the effects doing good for others can have on ones soul.
9. Get rid of the clutter! I can be a bit of a hoarder but as my mum would say “messy house messy mind” and she’s right, stop holding on to things that no longer serve you. Haven’t used it in 6 months? Throw it away
10. Sounds the most cliche but THINK POSITIVE honestly it actually does help and I know it can be very difficult to do that sometimes and that’s okay but if you can turn one negative thought into a positive one then you’re already doing it. If you see the glass as half full.. then fill it up baby!
I hope that some of these tips can help you to find ways to cope and smile today and remember these are just some of the things I do and just my opinions. I’d love to learn some of yours x